Friday, August 11, 2006

Cricket, cricket...

Well, cycle day 13 is here, and still no positive on the ovulation predictor. I guess I'm not ovulating early. I was really hoping the Clomid would help to regulate my cycle a little better (ovulate earlier, longer luteal phase). Blast.

My pregnant co-worker is about to hit her due date. Remember, we had miscarried at the same time last year. I was hoping to be only a few months behind her (and would have been if the March pregnancy had stuck), but now she's going to give birth before I even get pregnant. Sigh, another terrible milestone for me, despite my happiness for her.

You know what I've noticed? There is no good organization for people suffering from recurrent pregnancy loss in the U.S. I searched many times for a charitable-type of place for people to visit (either online or in person) and get some words of comfort, or some facts on what was happening. There seems to be an organization like this in the U.K., but not state-side. Resolve barely discusses miscarriage, though I belong because RPL is a form of infertility. And the March of Dimes is great for prematurity, but also barely mentions miscarriage. So infertiles have a voice, and parents of premature babies, but not miscarriers? No one is advocating for us, and as a result doctors all have different angles on how to treat us, and there is no standard of care.

One of Julie's commenters on her latest post had suggested that infertiles should wear a purple band, to let others know about their struggle. It seems there is a band for everything these days. Wouldn't it be better to have an advocate? Just a thought.

The county fair is in town this weekend. I love to go every year, and will go this year as well. Last year I was pregnant for the first time at the fair. And no doubt there will be babies there this year who will actually be younger than my first baby would have been. I'm not delusional, I know that my pregnancies were only chemical, and that there was never really a "baby". But the potential was there.

Here's to hoping for that same potential this cycle.

1 Comments:

Blogger DrSpouse said...

In the UK there is the Miscarriage Association - I'm surprised there's nothing similar in the US.

We have some fairly high profile advocates too - Anna Raeburn, a broadcaster, and a guy whose name I forget but who is a former England goalkeeper who's written and been on the radio about his wife's miscarriages.

August 11, 2006 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home