Friday, July 07, 2006

Diagnosis: Unknown

Well, there's good news and bad news today. Which do you prefer?

The good news: FSH is 4.9 on cycle day 2. This is a very good number. I was positively glowing for several hours after Nurse Nice gave me the news. It was low last month as well, but I was unknowingly pregnant at the time (although all my other signs didn't show a pregnancy, either). Not that I've been having any symptoms of premature menopause, especially since I've gotten pregnant four times this year, but it's scary since there's nothing you can do about it if it's bad.

Also, I'm having the sonohystogram today. TODAY! Nurse Nice said they only do it between cycle days 7-9, and they're booked on Monday (CD9) and closed on the weekend. So as a compromise, they're squeezing me in this afternoon because they prefer doing it a day early in the cycle rather than a day late. I'm sure this is because they are terrified of sending a little fertilized egg out into the abyss of my abdomen, but little do they know just how very impossible that would be. Of course, I'm still spotting, so gross. But I'm not missing another cycle, so too bad.

The bad news: Well, I'm pretty sure the sonohystogram is going to be clean, so I suspect we are headed for the dreaded "unknown" cause of our miscarriages. I'm going to ask about the clotting panel today since our doctor is doing the procedure. And also about starting with Clomid next cycle, as I think that was the next step if nothing obvious jumped out.

Oh, and my boss and our HR guy pow-wowed with our insurance company, and apparently our company can't add IVF coverage, even if they want to pay for it. You see, there is a clause in the law in my state requiring IVF coverage that allows companies of less than 50 people to basically not cover the procedure, and B and I both work for such a small company. But apparently, our insurance company takes this a step further and decided nobody at a small company can get the coverage, period. You can't even pay for it. So our company is looking at switching insurance providers when the contract expires this fall, but we actually have pretty good insurance, which is a PPO instead of an HMO and doesn't require referrals and such. I don't think anyone wants to switch, and I'm not convinced our company will be willing to pay more to add that coverage and get shittier overall service and options.

My boss said the company would try to help us by making the expense pre-tax, or setting up flexible health spending accounts, but what he's not getting is that any other company in the state and we get this for FREE. So I told B to start reworking his resume. We love our jobs, which is rare, and I hate to think that B would have to give that up and go work for some big corporation, but there's no way we're paying for IVF if we need it, period. So I really, really hope we don't need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home