Thursday, May 25, 2006

When it rains...

Sorry I didn't get to update you after my big appointment the other day. We ended up staying at work until late that night, and then the next morning we got a phone call at 4:45 am. You know that it is never good to get a phone call so early. Well anyway, my father-in-law was rushed to the hospital with chest pain, and we ended up going between the ER and babysitting our niece all day. (It ended up not being a heart attack, but he does have a Pacemaker that seems to be causing him a bit of trouble).

So. My latest beta was 27.2, proving that this pregnancy is failing. No surprise there. Here is the doctor's conclusion based upon our test results and such:

1. The losses are genetic, not hormonal or blood clotting or implantation or such.
2. All of my tests came back normal, so far. We are waiting still for a real cycle for a new FSH draw, and for our genetic karotyping to come back.
3. If we continue to try without any assistance, we will succeed eventually. However, since we are now at 4 straight losses, our chances of carrying to term once we confirm a pregnancy have gone from 70% (normal couple) to 35%. Not great odds. He thinks we will have more losses in the meantime.

So, this is his recommendation:
1. We do a sonohystogram, to be sure my uterus is normal. I'm pretty sure it is, but I'll do the test for the sake of completeness. I've had plenty of ultrasounds which all have been perfect, but it can't hurt. I don't know what we do if this shows a problem, I didn't really pursue it since I don't feel like this is the cause.
2. If the genetic test shows a balanced translocation, we go straight to IVF. He says only 3% of couples have this problem, but hey, probably the same percentage have so many miscarriages and no success, so I wouldn't rule it out. We have no family history to suggest it, but it is possible. We should know in a week or two, that test is sloooooow.
3. If my FSH is high, we go straight to IVF, as time is running out! The draw I did have was normal, but a pregnancy tends to lower the number. And I was pregnant. Hopefully this is not it, especially since high FSH can make it hard to find a clinic to help out. I don't have any symptoms of early menopause or anything, so cross your fingers for me that this isn't it.
4. Shitty ovulation. He seems to think this is our problem. If the other tests all come back normal, we go to Clomid. If after 3-6 months, I don't respond, or I don't get preggo with a keeper, we move on to injectables. Then IVF.

The doc also put me on baby aspirin, and I'm already taking a prenatal.

All this talk of IVF made me call my insurance company. You see, we live in a state that mandates coverage for IVF, but unfortunately there is a loophole, and our company doesn't cover it. So I pleaded our case to my boss (we work together, so it's not like we can just use his insurance instead of mine). Hopefully they come through for us, if we need it.

So as you can see, it was not very enlightening. No answers at all really. But now we can't try for at least two months (one for this miscarriage to resolve, and the next for the sonohystogram). We're looking at August, at best, for our next attempt at this point. Grrrrrr.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your father-in-law is doing okay now.
I'm so sorry about the beta results. It's hard when there are no easy answers.

May 25, 2006 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home